Sunday, July 17, 2011

Extreme Nicaragua, land of Volcanoes

Nicaragua is gorgeous! It's lush and the skies are rich with clouds and storms. The first thing we noticed is the abundance of horses, still a predominant means of transport. The second thing we noticed is the abundance of Volcanoes!!! We got so excited to see all the volcanoes, scattered sporadically across the land. Their shape is so iconic and really lets my imagination run wild!
One of the many Volcanoes seen in the distance in Nicaragua.
We arrived in the dark to Leon, and thankfully Michael remembered the name to a hostel: BigFoot. It was very clean and comfortable, but lights out after 11pm and no outside alcohol allowed in made it feel like a school trip. nevertheless we had a very enjoyable time there playing pool, swimming, chatting and much more!

Street food is the best! I can't express how amazing it is, the flvours, the richness, y es muy economico! We endulged in some great street food, the typical rice & beans, grilled chicken and tortillas. A huge plate all for  less than $1. Heaven! We ate at some place, and my zero Spanish had no idea what I was eating. Eventually immitated a cow, nope, not a cow, then I baaed like a sheep and they said something and giggled, so we think it's goat or something. I don't really care it was delicious! Feel like a complete retard not being able to communicate with the locals though. No Espanol no es bueno!
The amazing street food 'stall', packed with pollo (chicken) and carne (meat).
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rob and Chrissie! I am the Dutch girl you met in Puerto Escondido, with the Mexican zumba teacher ;-). I just refound your blogspot address and decided to check where you're at! It appears to be Nicaragua a nd I remember you telling me that you were thinking of being in Peru (my favorite country) around this time! So probably all is too beautiful and great to travel faster than you do! Well you should enjoy every moment! I am in Amsterdam but end of october I will go the the north of Peru (near Tumbes) to visit my friends and help out at the surfschool for the local youth. Do let me know if you are around that area in november/december! marijeg@yahoo.com buen viaje!! saludos desde Amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marije!! Hoe gaan dit? We were just thinking of you today, you know that? We are actually in Ecuador now, we are seriously behind on our blog.We are going to Zorritos tomorrow or the next day :) Any advice? Great we're in touch again! All the best

    ReplyDelete